Bannockburn House Doocot

by Alasdair MacPherson 28th February 2008


Bannockburn House Doocot  in January 2008
Photo taken January 2008

Bannockburn House Doocot is a 17th century Category B Listed Building. The doocot stands 250m NE of Bannockburn House and would have been used by the owners of Bannockburn House.

Early purpose-built doocots in Scotland are of a "beehive" shape, circular in plan and tapering up to a domed roof with a circular opening at the top. On many Scottish estates a dovecote (or doocot) can be found. Many doocots are structures of random rubble, like the one at Bannockburn House. Pigeons and their eggs were a valuable source of food, while their dung was used for fertiliser and even gunpowder.

The date 1698 is incised in the lintel above the doorway, in the south wall. Above the lintel is a stone dated 1768. It is assumed by Historic Scotland that the doocot was reconstructed in 1768, incorporating a number of carved stones of 17th century date.

Bannockburn House Doocot
Photo taken July 2003

 
Useful Links


Website last updated: